Thursday, April 4, 2013

Good Decisions

Recently this old story came to mind. You may have heard it, but it's worth a knowing smile if not some serious reflection.
The story goes that a skilled executive had become CEO of a bank years earlier. When he began, the bank was small, but after years--decades really--he had expanded that small bank into a financial powerhouse. And now, in his late seventies, it was time to hand the reins over to a new, younger CEO, a bright and talented man the board had already selected. 
"Sir," said the younger man, "the story of how you built this bank is legendary. As I take over from you, what do I most need to remember in order to continue to grow this business." 
"Young man," the retiring CEO replied, "two words: Good Decisions." 
"That's fine, sir, but how do I go about making good decisions?" 
"Young man, one word: Wisdom." 
"Sir, I couldn't agree more. I need to make good decisions that come as a result of wisdom. But how do I get the wisdom I need." 
"Young man," the older gentleman replied with a steely look in his eyes, "two words: Bad Decisions."
Yup, it's like that, but only if we admit our bad decisions and learn from them. And that, of course, is the hard part.

No comments:

Post a Comment