Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Next Twenty (?) Years

Yesterday I met with a distinguished friend who is 81 years old. We met at his office in Washington, DC. This was in spite of the fact that he "retired" in February. Before that he was working 50-hour weeks, traveling, leading meetings, mentoring, writing, and speaking. Now that he's "retired" he's doing all the same things, but I suppose not putting in quite so many hours--maybe. He no longer runs his business unit, but aside from his title, only difference I can see is that they moved him to a smaller office and he has a new assistant. He's still full of life, energy, and ideas.

I thought about my friend and his "retirement" later in the day talking with another friend. Though I'll turn 60 next year, I keep thinking and saying that I have another 20 years to give to the cause. Another 20 years to contribute. How I came up with 20, I don't know, but that's the number I'm working with.

And why not. If God grants me life and breath, why should I stop? My dad died at 70 as one of the newest and most popular professors at the local community college. My mom died at 84, working nearly full-time as a travel agent until her last brief illness. Why not die with my boots on the way they did, the way Chuck Colson (age 81) did and the way my 81-year-old friend is sure to do?

The world is a troubled place. We live in a troubled culture. People over 70 and over 80 are still making a positive difference in the midst of the trouble. I get excited thinking about all that might be ahead and about being a part of fighting the good fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment