Monday, August 12, 2013

Sit Back and Relax

When I sat down in my window seat on the Frontier flight from Washington to Denver I commented to the woman in the middle, "Every time I get on a flight, I think they've shrunk the seating room by another inch." She agreed. It was very tight.

The plane filled--and I mean it filled--and off we went.

As we took off the fellow in the aisle seat, a man of about 70, was reading the paper. Once in the air, the guy in front of him reclined his seat. And that's were the trouble started.

As I said, the seats were tight and reading was difficult. With the seat in front reclined, it was even worse. The paper reader in the aisle retaliated by repeatedly brushing his paper against the head of the  reclining passenger in front of him. He turned around asking that the paper reader cease and desist--assuming, I think, it was happening by accident.

"I'm reading my paper! If you don't like it, get your head out of my lap." Now reading the Washington Post can ruin anyone's day, and, as I said, it was tight, but the guy was over the top. He was caustic, nasty, self-rightous, and, in the final analysis, central casting's idea of a cranky old fart.

I had three responses. First, I was nervous that the altercation would escalate and we'd head back to DC. Second, I started laughing. The poor fellow became a caracature and it was a bit funny. No one would write such lame dialogue. Third, I prayed for him and for myself. I want to be that cheerful, gracious old person. Don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment